Pages

Thursday, August 16, 2012

She Lives -- Kind Of

After the dog attack yesterday, my hens went into deep hiding.  When they started coming out of the bushes, I tried to count them.  Well when you have 10 hens from the same breed, they all look alike.  I kept counting 9 hens.  Even when I locked them up last night, I only counted 9 girls.  So I was very surprised when I let them out this morning that there were 10 hens.  I looked at the second hen that I thought was moulting and her back was wet.  When I looked closer, I saw that the feathers had been torn from her back.  She also has a puncture wound from a bite by the dog.  So the  bottom line is, yes she lived from her dog attack but I don't think she is going to live out the day.  I washed the wound and sprayed it with antibiotic spray but I don't think it will do any good.  If she is not better by tomorrow morning, I will have to put her down.  I hate that. This hen survived being bit  by a dog and the other hens were also able to get away each time the dog came in the yard too.  They are warrior hens for sure. 

No comments:

Post a Comment